Monday, August 9, 2010

The new rythym summer!

Wow!  This summer is flying by!

I can't believe it's August already.... where did the lazy days of summer go?  These last few weeks have been anything but.  We are working on so many new CBH projects and we recently began collaborating with a local artist on a few new airbrush pieces.  I'm so excited to get these new jackets finished - they are going to be HOT!  I know airbrush designs aren't an entirely new idea to show clothes, but I've been waiting for the right opportunity to come along for us to play with paint.  After observing many of the current trends, and closely inspecting many airbrushed, painted and mixed media designs, we decided we were ready to experiment in the many ways we could incorporate this fun new medium into some of our up-and-coming projects.  After much consideration I'm very excited to have found an amazingly talented artist to work with.

We've been enjoying creating new collaged styles, with a lot more texture and depth.  These textural details come from the mixed use of many types of materials.  There is no limit to the possibilities, from the more expected traditional leather fringe and applique work to the use of airbrush, loose studs, stones, and even irregular sharpened rocks for unexpected edgy new styles.

I have to tell you it's nice to take a much needed late-night break from my current job at the stoning station, aka my desk.  Stoning, stoning, and more stoning is driving me mad!  I love it and can't stop until every last crystal is in it's place, but at some point I reach my limit.  I'm figuring out that about four days in a row of solid stoning is about all I can handle!!  My eyes! My back! My sanity!  I know it's bad when even doing costing or inventory sounds like a fun break.  I couldn't be in this business if I didn't have a special type of love for embellishing and tedious types of hand work.  Sometimes I think I'm totally crazy, but then I see the finished project and it's all worth it.



It's just now hitting me this summer's sunny season is more than 2/3 over and I've barely been out soaking it up.  Usually I'm a total summer girl.  I love the hot weather, sun on my skin, gorgeous evenings dining outside and getting wet any chance I get.  Summertime is meant for a little easy living so..... please forgive me for my posts being less than prompt.  Summers sure have changed over the years.  I don't think summer break even exists anymore for most of us.  Even if you have a real summer break from school or work, I'm willing to bet you spent it busy running around too.  Just know I've been happily hard at work this summer... luckily breaking here and there for a few short trips that help me stay energized.  I love feeling ready and excited for Monday to get back to work, then I'm full of inspiration and fresh ideas.  A few fun things I've been up to this summer include a wedding, river rafting, many birthday parties, both of friends and family, a little boating, a wine festival and couple baby showers.

I'm going to have many fun new pieces to show you real soon.  Right now I'm just juggling projects.  Switching between tasks is a nice little way for me to break and shift gears while still producing, whether it be sketching, sewing, cutting, stoning, or working at the computer.  The variety of garments, customers and daily duties is one of the best parts of small business.  I love being my own boss and having the freedom to determine when to take a day to relax!

Heather

No comments: